Where the Whittaker’s are from.
The Whittaker family originated from the little hamlet of Whittaker in Lancashire, England.
Whittaker is in Mossley, Aston-Under-Lyne, 9 miles South-East of Rochdale. It shows it was maybe on what is now named Queen St.
WHITTAKER LANE, WHITTAKER HAMLET, LITTLEBOROUGH, LANCASHIRE.
There was a John Whittaker listed below; (1776-1840)
John Whittaker was an Oldham born cotton spinner and became an important and influential local industrialist, noted for his great sense of paternalism to his workers. In 1860 he acquired the Hurst Mills in Ashton, and with the help of his two sons, John and Oldham, saw the massive expansion of his holdings and the profitability of his company. He became a major employer in Ashton-under-Lyne in the early part of the 19th century.
He also held interests in the local Hurst Knowl Colliery, which supplied coal to his factories to drive its steam engines. His sons went on to create housing for their workers as well as schools and libraries, and even during the so-called “Cotton Famine” of 1861 to 1865, they kept their mills open and running to sustain their employees, having laid out a small fortune of their own money to sustain working families in the region. Later, their finance was to be instrumental in the establishment of the Ashton Infirmary.
The Hurst Mills Company Limited continued its operations until its closure in 1931.
From the Wikipedia web site: Littleborough, Greater Manchester
Littleborough is a small town within the Metropolitan Borough of Rochdale, in Greater Manchester, England. It lies amongst the South Pennines, 3 miles north-east of Rochdale and 12.6 miles north-northeast of the city of Manchester.
Littleborough began as a scattering of weaving hamlets within the Parish of Hundersfield, a large area stretching from Rochdale to Todmorden.
On the way up to Blackstone Edge, above Hollingworth Lake is the ancient farmstead, or fold, of Whittaker. The earliest house possibly dates back to the fourteenth century. Whittaker was restored in the early 90s. Close by is Whittaker Golf Club, and Whittaker Wood which is owned by the Woodland Trust.
Hollingworth Lake is a lake in Littleborough, in the Metropolitan Borough of Rochdale, Greater Manchester. To the west of Hollingworth Lake is Whittaker Golf and Whittaker Wood.
Address Whittaker Golf Club, Whittaker Lane, Whittaker Hamlet, Littleborough, OL15 0LH
Whittaker Wood is in a large woodland area at the end of Whittaker Lane.
Whittaker Golf Club is south of Todmorden on the Rochdale road thru Walsden, onto Todmorden road to Hollingsworth road. This is where Hollingworth Lake is located. To the east is a large woodland, which s named Whittaker Wood. To the east is Whittaker Golf Club on Whittaker Lane.
Whittaker’s Green just South of Hunsterson.
In Elizabethan times, Burnley Wood was a scattering of farmsteads in an outlying part of Burnley – Whittaker Farm (junction of Hufling Lane and Todmorden Road).
Whittaker Wood can be found in Greater Manchester about 4 miles east of Rochdale, close to the town of Littleborough. This broadleaf woodland consists of oak (Quercus robur) with some sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus) and beech (Fagus sylvatica), the woodland contains little under storey, however some excellent patches of regeneration in the form of oak and beech can be found. The ground flora is predominantly grass due to a combination of previous grazing and a relatively sparse canopy.
The wood is located on a relatively steep hillside; all the surrounding land is used for livestock grazing. The site was stock fenced in 1998 on three sides to help protect natural regeneration from stray livestock.
A feeder stream which eventually joins the Rochdale canal runs adjacent with the public footpath through the site.
In the 1920s the operation of the later mill (Whitaker’s Mill) was taken over by a local textile firm called L. Whitaker & Sons who converted it to condenser cotton spinning. It was not until 1959 that they bought the freehold of it from the Whittaker’s. The families Whitaker and Whittaker are related some generations back but by the time they were both on this site together there were no Whitakers in L. Whitaker & Sons whereas the fulling mill Whittaker’s were a well known and respected local family
Whittaker’s mill was demolished in 1971 and the Cake a Pie was not demolished, but caught fire and was practically destroyed. The Clock Tower was a local landmark and would not have been allowed to be demolished per se.
The Hurst Mill complex was demolished well before my time, probably in the late 1930s.
Queen Street Chapel, or Queens Road as it became known when Ashton took over (words deliberately chosen) Hurst was demolished in the late 1960s.
The Oldham cotton spinner, John Whittaker, relocated to Hurst in 1808. Most of his work force followed him. Joseph Wallwork moved from Oldham to Hurst and was married at St Michael Ashton 1818 and eventually became a manager in a mill presumably working for Mr. John Whittaker.
John Whittaker died in 1840 leaving a mill and four sons John, Oldham, Robert and James (Oldham is a significant name in the Wallwork family). Only John and Oldham played a part in the business proving to be at least as capable as their father. Oldham built his own mill in 1847 just down the road, nearer to the new housing estate. The two brothers employed most of the population of Hurst at Whittaker Mills and like their father before them were humane employers. They made generous efforts to alleviate the suffering of workers during the worst years of the cotton famine (1862-1864).
John Whittaker Jr. died in 1864 leaving his brother two large mills. Oldham Whittaker died on the 31st of December 1871 leaving his mills to his son and son-in-law.
Broadclough Hall situated on Burnley Road, Bacup was the home of the Whittaker family for many years, the Whittaker family came to Bacup in 1523. James Whittaker of Broadclough was Greave of the forest in 1559 and his grandfather had also been a Greave in 1515.
It is possible that some of the above Whittaker’s are our ancestors.